Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"I'm up in the clouds. I'm up in the clouds and I can't, I can't come down."

Sorry I waited so long to post this. & that I was on hiatus for a few days. It was necessary.

Now then,

I didn't wait long at all. The lights were killed and seconds later Radiohead took the stage & immediately began the low machine hum bass-line of "The Gloaming". Thom York meanders in the shadows casted from green & purple light, chanting the words back & forth, sounding more extra-terrestrial than human. A start that completely changed my mind about a song. *snap* Just like that. I had never liked that song on the album. I didn't hate it either but it was normally skipped. It didn't do much for me until now. But oh how I love a bass so low that I can feel my heart vibrate in sync with what I hear. That was a wonderful surprise to kick off the show!



After the third song finished the crowd roared in approval of the 2 new songs they had just heard, I just closed my eyes in anticipation to what may come next when I recognize the spitting drum machine intro for "2+2=5". I really dig this one because it is the first on Hail to the Thief, an album after 2 largely synthesized releases, that reminded me that Radiohead can still rock the fuck out. Energy. Intensity. I can really say no more of that one. Oh, except stunning :)

I'd never been to the Hummingbird before. It's a beautiful room in the heart of downtown Toronto that seats about 3,000. It was designed for symphony performances so it has fabulous acoustics. When the lights abruptly cut and the show began, I was curious at first by how quiet it was for a rock show. Don't get me wrong, the sound filled the room completely. Just not too loud. Within reason, ya know? When Anne was in college in Grand Rapids, the auditorium there was the same size. The venue allowed everyone, even those in the mezzanine, to be close to the show. Very intimate. Very impressive.

The set was simple but still an excellent accent to the performance. Cooler temperature colors of flooding light were common as grainy live video of each band member playing was casted upon the many polygon screens in the back of the stage. A different image feed for each screen. It was interesting but not distracting. For most of the show, it was a reasonable accompaniment to the music. It really worked well for me at the beginning of the first encore when Thom walked out, sat at his piano and stared into the camera facing him while he played "You & Whose Army". Oh, man. That is yet another that I love to drown myself in. The one image of him was across all of the separate screens. It was much like a live music video.... if there is such a thing. There he was, staring into everyone's eyes simultaneously. Just the right kind of creepy for that beautiful song.



Of the new tracks we got to hear, there was much to swallow for all in the audience. When a band plays new works everyone who hasn't heard it yet will often do nothing more than tap their foot to the beat and cheer at the end. This was the case for some of the new tracks but for one or two, there was no denying that Radiohead still has much to contribute to the music of this generation. Thom played drums as he sang for us for a few tracks and even showed us he can beat-box on another. Forgive me for I know not the names of the ones that wowed me but boy, did they ever. Blew me away. They still have ways of laying a complex beat that forces your foot to loose time until you realize you're not in 4/4 kansas anymore.

I have a recorded live version of Idioteque on my mp3 player. So when the beat began I was wild with excitement. I knew what to expect, but what was delivered completely superseded what I thought I was in for. Damn, I've heard that recording so many times & thought how it could possibly get better than that. After all, that's why they record it isn't it? So right about the time I'm trying to comprehend how artists manage to regularly out-do themselves, "Climbing the Walls" from OK Computer begins to wash over me. God, I love that song. A truly soulful piece bearing pessimistic, haunting melody mixed with bone-chilling and dark lyrics from the mind of a born poet. From the very first note I was stricken with chills and goose bumps that lasted throughout the entire song. I was so completely taken and immersed in sound so full I could barely force back the urge to let loose the control of my tear ducts. Johnny Greenwood nailed the raspy guitar solo at the end. Nailed it. I was no longer Earth bound. Yes. I really was that hooked. Needless to say, that was my favorite for the evening. I'm amazed I could even pick a favorite. With nearly every song that I recognized at first, I responded with a head-rolling, "OH HELL YEAH!!" and showed my approval by screaming my throat dry at its end.



The climax of this performance was where it should have been; the last of two encores. This tiny crowd managed to shake the entire building to its foundation in refusal to let the band leave. After a good 7-10 minutes of relentless cheering the crowd doubled its intensity when they saw the guys walk back on stage and close the evening with There There. Seamless. Stunning. Fin.

I waited 8 years for this. Walking in, I really hoped I didn't pay too much for this. Now that it is all said & done? It was so worth the wait and the all-but-alarming price to see Radiohead. By the way, Karma Police, arrest those fucks who shout at the top of their lungs during the dead quiet parts of "You & Whose Army". While we're at it, arrest those other fucks who thought it was a good idea to scream "SHUT-UP" at the first fucks. Other than them, I rate this performance 5 out of 5 stars.

Set list courtesy of ateaseweb.com

01 The Gloaming
02 Bangers 'n Mash (new)
03 15 Step (new)
04 2+2=5
05 Kid A
06 Fake Plastic Trees
07 Videotape (new)
08 Arpeggi (new)
09 Idioteque
10 Climbing Up The Walls
11 Down Is The New Up (new)
12 Karma Police
13 Nude (new)
14 House of Cards (new)
15 Myxomatosis
16 Spooks (new)
17 Paranoid Android

Encore 1
18 You And Whose Army?
19 Bodysnatchers (new)
20 Just
21 Let Down

Encore 2
22 There There


I'm going to see Mono & Pelican at Lee's Palace tonight! Stay tuned for another review :)
You folks rock my wee little blog world.

Love, Hubris

8 Comments:

At 6/14/2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger DZER said...

glad that the concert seems to have exceeded your excited expections ... sounds like you had a blast!

 
At 6/15/2006 07:07:00 AM, Blogger Lisa V said...

Wow, what a lucky, lucky guy. My sister tried to get tickets to that very show mere minutes after the sale, and of course it was sold out. Scalpers are the devil! Thom Yorke has the presence of no one else I've ever seen on stage, and it truly sounds like he's still in fine form. They impress me, as well, by how well they actually synchronize their sound on stage into something somehow bigger than them. Sort of the Anti-Smashing Pumpkins who could barely replecate their album tracks live.

Again, lucky, lucky guy.

Hey, I'm not sure if you're a fan of either one of these, but I couldn't believe it: Broken Social Scene is going to play a set of Dinosaur Jr. songs with J. Mascis! This, I think, would be quite the memorable show as well...

 
At 6/15/2006 08:55:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Ohhhh dude I am so jealous but in a non-"I hate you" way. And at the same time I am sooo happy that you were there to enjoy that. I wish I had been there too. Oh well...next time, I guess.

And thanks for the amazing review.

xoxox

-N

 
At 6/15/2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger da buttah said...

*sigh*

someday i will see radiohead. someday.

maybe i can find someone to drag to matiyahu tonight hehe

 
At 6/15/2006 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Hubris said...

Dzer- Ohman, nothing short of a blast!

SLG- Yup scalpers are fuct. The girl I went with to the show works in the industry. I asked her how scalpers get so many ticktes when the general public can only buy 2 per person for the show. She says that it is likely the promoters are corrupt and pulling strings they shouldn't be...
Radiohead's timing was totally on! You should hear Tool's live timing. If they're on that night, you won't believe your ears.
I must have got lucky when I saw the Pumpkins in '96. They played a fabulous show with great sound. Other than that, all reviews I heard of them were negative.
I just started giving Broken Social Scene a try. They aren't bad... But what you said sounds interesting...

Nat- *sigh* Something tells me that I wish you were there... Thank you very much :) xo

Elle- Mitiyahu- aren't they an Hasidic Jewish reggae band? If that is so, I have them on my list at home! Great choice dude! Enjoy the show :)

 
At 6/15/2006 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Hubris said...

elle- sorry matiyahu

 
At 6/15/2006 04:58:00 PM, Blogger Lance said...

I think that phone message I got last week was probably the best review anyone could have ever given.

"Dude, Oh man.... You would have pee'd, your, pants."

It sounds like the show as as good as a show could be.

 
At 6/15/2006 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Hubris said...

LAD- I almost forgot about that. I was still soo excited :) I had to call someone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Business DSL