Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Imagine the View

Set deep inside what has to be the smallest club in Toronto on the last day of August, I had the rare pleasure of seeing A Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band play before me. I knew what to expect as I have come to love a majority of their music thus far. It is best described as dark and bleak. The messages contained within their songs are highly political and often anti-war. Liberal criticisms are bound tightly to a kind of pessimistic hope. The kind one has when so much hope has eroded away.


ASMZ

To describe in a more auditory way I'd call it progressive music enveloping characteristics from folk, orchestral and noise. Often this is very well layered with a rock-style drum kit, electric guitar and the haunting howl of front man, Efrim Menuck. For those of you not familiar with Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Menuck was also responsible for a large part of their concept & delivery (minus the singing) of a more experimental kind of prog several years ago.


Menuck

ASMZ opened their set with "God Bless Our Dead Marines" - one of the four songs I was crossing my fingers for that night. In fact, I heard three out of the four that I came to see. ALL three filled me with such beauty, sadness and awe that I could not contain the wealth of emotion I felt. The rest of the performance was stunning for sure, but they were mostly songs that I was not yet familiar with. I've never wept like that at a performance. I hid my face, not out of shame, but because I didn't want MightyDoll to think that I was not having the time of my life. I was.



"And our heros all died crazy
Broken poor our shot
Let's celebrate their tragedy
And sanctify the loss...
...And all I true love
is the light in my sister's darling eyes"

-Horses In The Sky



I could write for days straight explaining how this music permeates my soul. Instead, I'd rather you see and hear for yourself. May these lyrics be a tempting taste.



Imagine the view
From a helicopter gun ship
A man comes into view
And you hit that switch
and you cut that man in two

Imagine the view
When they bounce that shit off of satellites
And when they hit that switch, and when they hit that switch
All of heaven falls on you

-Ring Them Bells (Freedom Has Come And Gone)



A very sincere thank you to all members of A Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band for aiding in the opening of my mind to the world outside this continent.

Love,
HH

8 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

Dude this is awesome stuff. It's great to be open to stuff that is not mainstream or even outside of the outside of mainstream :)

-N

 
At 9/15/2006 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Hubris said...

agreed :)

Yet I used to think it was because I hated all things mainstream. Nope. What I actually hate is the radio for its commercials, moronic jockeys & station junk AND overplaying all things commercial.

For example, the Killers rock!


And I still listen to "Float On" by Modest Mouse - supposedly overplayed. But I wouldn't know because I don't allow the radio to dictate what my ears hear.

 
At 9/15/2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Tom Cavnar said...

Man, I'm jealous. That would be such an awesome show to see.

I never get to see shows... Except the theatre shows I'm working on, alas.

I wonder if ASMZ ever comes out here to SoCal?

 
At 9/16/2006 08:00:00 AM, Blogger Hubris said...

oh man, I'm so sorry you missed it!

 
At 9/17/2006 08:57:00 PM, Blogger The Mighty Doll said...

Sonus - They just wrapped up an american tour Idunno if they did that far south though (I'm checking)

But really, what you have to do is come up n' see them here, or in their hometown of Montreal.

 
At 9/17/2006 09:03:00 PM, Blogger The Mighty Doll said...

They played Portland on August 19th

http://localcut.wweek.com/?p=555

Here's a review.

I suppose this means that they've ventured that far once before (this was their first North American tour) so they seem willing to, at least. ;)

Still, they play Montreal regularly and Generally Toronto semi-regularly (they hadn't been here in a year because Sophie broke her collarbone.)

 
At 9/18/2006 04:52:00 AM, Blogger Tom Cavnar said...

:: sigh ::

:: dreams of the carefree days before his illustrious career in the arts, where one could go see shows at will... ::

 
At 9/18/2006 02:14:00 PM, Blogger The Mighty Doll said...

You know, I THOUGHT Portland was in Oregon, but Google sent me that link when I asked about ASMZ and Southern California.

That show WAS in Oregon, so I still haven't actually confirmed that they travel that far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counters
Business DSL